Skip to main content

Basement Change #2

When I posted about getting new carpet and tiling the bathroom, I mentioned that there were going to be TWO changes to the basement.  The bathroom floor was the first.  The second was being worked on simultaneously as I was working on the bathroom.

Our basement has a door that goes out to our back patio.  The old carpet went right up to the door.  We have an area rug in front of the door, but dirt and mud just can't seem to stay away.    To fix this, I wanted to put tile in front of the door.  My parents did this in their house (tile in front of garage door and back door to patio) and it works so well.  They don't have to worry about getting the carpet wet or mud soaking in.  If mud gets on the tile,they just wipe it up.  SO easy !


So before the carpet guys came to give us new carpet, I pulled up the carpet around the door and laid some tile down.  I just found a corner of the carpet and lifted.  It came right up.  Then I took a screw driver and pried off the tack boards.  Be careful if you ever have to do this.  There are nails everywhere!


Tiling this area was MUCH easier than the bathroom.  I purchased 15 12 x 12 in. tiles and used the same mortar and grout that I used for the bathroom.


I laid out the tiles on the floor to see how exactly to put them before I put the mortar on the floor.  I used different spacers this time.  I needed the spaces to be slightly bigger (1/4 inch this time around) in order for the tiles to cover the whole area.  Then I mixed the mortar and spread it on the floor using the flat side of the trowel.  Then I used the grooved side, and then laid down the tiles, placing spacers in between each one.  I prefer the circular ones I used for the bathroom over the cross shaped ones I used for this project, but both got the job done.


I made sure to add spacers in between the tiles and the frame of the door (Grout will go in there).  I didn't want the tile to go straight up against the frame. 


I waited a weekend to let the mortar dry completely.  Then my friend who helped with the bathroom, also helped me grout this as well.  We used a spackle knife to spread the grout into the cracks.  


After all the cracks were filled, we waited a few minutes before wiping away the excess grout.  We used a grout sponge and wiped at an angle.


We wiped down the tile numerous times.  Each time it started to dry, you could see a film of grout over the tile.  I probably wiped it at least 10 times before I felt all the grout was off the tiles.


Then, the grout just needed to dry and that was it.  Once the grout was dry, I sealed it using the same sealer process that I did when I tiled my fireplace

The carpet men came the next day and installed our new carpet.  Which, by the way, we saved some cash by removing the furniture ourselves.  That knocked off about $100.  Any little savings helps!  They installed the carpet right up to the tile, so I didn't need a transition piece.




I LOVE having the tile in front of the door.  The tile + the new carpet = an awesome basement floor.  Here's a before and after picture:


Any new additions to your house?

Now you can Do It Yourself Too !

~Stephanie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tisket. A Tasket. A Wall Full of Baskets

Soo...after my new found obsession with Pinterest started, I came across this wonderful idea for small bathroom storage . Our upstairs "guest" bathroom doesn't have a lot of storage space, our sink is narrow with little cabinet space, and I'm not very in to the shelf/cabinet over the toilet idea.  So I was thrilled when I saw this picture.  I love baskets because they are a versatile way to store anything and they look good doing it.  I was also excited because the current towel bar over the toilet was not centered, which really bothered me, so now I had an excuse to take it down.   For the project: Tools Needed: Screw Driver Drill Putty knife (if needed) Paint roller (if needed) Paint tray (if needed) Level Measuring tape Pencil Materials Needed:   Towel Bars Baskets Something to attach baskets to bar - I used craft ribbon Spackling (if needed) Sand paper (if needed) Self-adhesive drywall joint tape (if needed) Primer and P

Fallin' For Tulle Wreaths

Pinterest is at it again.  While browsing Pinterest during my daily hourly look through, I found this pretty fall wreath : Since it is on Etsy, I started to look for an online tutorial on how to make a tulle wreath.  I've never seen one before, so I wasn't sure where to start.  Google makes searching for things so easy and I quickly found this  tutorial.  It was very helpful. I got most of my materials at a store called WOW Outlets in Pennsylvania while visiting my family (yes, another trip to PA).  The foam ring is 11" .  I originally started with a 12" ring, but felt it was too big.  I had almost the whole wreath covered with tulle, didn't like it, and took it apart for the smaller ring. I got some of the tulle at the same store, some at the $1.00 section in JoAnn's, and had some cut from a bolt at JoAnn's.  I also purchased some gold ribbon as well. The flower, leaves, and scarecrow are all from fall decorations I had lying around the ho

Spring Hanging Towels

I just wanted to share what I started over Easter break and finished yesterday in between church, hunting for Easter baskets, and eating tons of food.  My Gram's birthday and my godmother's birthday is in April, so I told them I'd make an Easter hanging towel for them.  I had four towels, so I was able to make 8 all together.  Only five are shown: Since I last made the shamrock one, I did find out that I can make a buttonhole with my sewing machine.  However, I can't find the manual so I still don't know how to use it.  So I'm still sewing snaps on the towels like I did  here .  I did figure out that I can sew the button on at the same time as the snap, so that made it MUCH easier than the first time I did it.  I actually like the snaps and will probably keep with it even if when I do figure out how to use it. I gave all of them away as gifts, except for one.  I think they turned out just springy :) I hope that you all had a blessed Easter !