Skip to main content

Making A MEMOry Board

If you haven't noticed, I like making crafts.  Not only do I enjoy making things for myself, I get really excited when someone asks if I can make them something.  Even better…when I make someone for someone and they like it!  Last year for Christmas, my sister, Emily, asked for a memo board and this year, she wanted another one! 

I've made many memo boards, but surprisingly not one since I started this blog.  There are plenty of other tutorials on how to make a memo board, but I thought I'd still share mine. Everyone's is a little different.  Of course, you can find memo boards in the store, but they are usually over $15 or $20.  Not only can you do them on the cheap, you can make it just the way you want it!

Tools:
  • Scissors
  • Staple Gun and staples
  • Needle
  • Pliers/wire cutter (to pull out staples if needed and to cut floral wire)
  • Ruler
Materials:
  • 16 X 20 inch canvas (usually purchased at Michael's with coupon)
  • Quilt batting cut 16 X 20 inches or slightly larger
  • Choice of ironed fabric cut 21 X 25 inches or slightly larger (you can always cut smaller, but not make larger - it's always best to go larger)
  • White fabric (or whatever color you want for the back) cut 15.5 X 19.5 inches
  • Choice of ribbon - I use 3/8" in width for all my boards.  I usually buy a 6 yard roll.
  • 5 buttons - your choice of color
  • Thread
  • Tacky glue

First you need to layer the fabric, batting, and canvas.  Place the fabric (face down), then the batting, and then the canvas (face down) on top of the batting.


Then, fold the bottom part of the fabric up and over the canvas and staple it three times: in the middle and on each side.  Repeat for the top. 


  Then fold over and staple each side piece of fabric to the side of the canvas (three times).


Once you've done this, you can do the corners.  Here is a video that you might find helpful, but I do mine slightly different.  Once the corners are folded, you are ready for the ribbon.


I put a tiny dab of tacky glue on the top of each corner before placing the ribbon down.  This helps keep the ribbon in place.  Then I staple the first piece of ribbon on the back of the canvas from one corner to the opposite corner, creating a diagonal line.  Then I cut the ribbon and repeat for the next corner. You will have a big X now.


Take another piece of ribbon and staple it the top middle (imagine a line going straight up from the "X" you just made).  Then I measure six inches from the "X" to the new piece of ribbon to make sure that the new piece of ribbon is parallel to the "X" piece.  Once you've made sure its parallel, staple the ribbon on the side.



You will repeat this step three more times to finish the rest of the ribbon.  This is what it should look like once finished:


Now it is time for the buttons.  I cut a piece of thread about the length of the canvas - so about 20 inches, maybe a bit longer.  I start with the middle section of the memo board and place the button in the middle.  Then I just poke through the back of the canvas until the needle finds the button hole.  Then I just sew the button on, making sure it is pretty tight.  


Repeat for four other buttons.


After the buttons are sewn on, it is practically finished!  If you don't care how the back looks, you can skip putting on the white backing and go straight to stapling on the floral wire for it to be hung.  

I stapled the white backing on to the canvas and then I used the wire cutter/pliers and cut  the floral wire to about 26 inches.  I stapled the floral wire about 1/4 of the way down from the top like I do for my frames.  Done !


Here is Emily's Christmas present :


Here are some of my old memo boards I have made for family and friends in the past:


These are pretty simple to make.  I think sewing on the buttons takes the most time.  Now that you know how to make one, you can find any fabric to match any room decor, you could get college team colors and make one for a dorm, or find a cute baby pattern and make one for a nursery.  I've also made mini ones using an 11 X 14 inch canvas.  These make great gifts for Mother's Day, graduates going off to college, birthdays, baby showers, and housewarming parties.

I'd love to see your final products!  Please share if you make one.

What kind of DIY presents did you give for Christmas?

Now you can Do It Yourself Too!

~Stephanie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tisket. A Tasket. A Wall Full of Baskets

Soo...after my new found obsession with Pinterest started, I came across this wonderful idea for small bathroom storage . Our upstairs "guest" bathroom doesn't have a lot of storage space, our sink is narrow with little cabinet space, and I'm not very in to the shelf/cabinet over the toilet idea.  So I was thrilled when I saw this picture.  I love baskets because they are a versatile way to store anything and they look good doing it.  I was also excited because the current towel bar over the toilet was not centered, which really bothered me, so now I had an excuse to take it down.   For the project: Tools Needed: Screw Driver Drill Putty knife (if needed) Paint roller (if needed) Paint tray (if needed) Level Measuring tape Pencil Materials Needed:   Towel Bars Baskets Something to attach baskets to bar - I used craft ribbon Spackling (if needed) Sand paper (if needed) Self-adhesive drywall joint tape (if needed) Primer and P

Fallin' For Tulle Wreaths

Pinterest is at it again.  While browsing Pinterest during my daily hourly look through, I found this pretty fall wreath : Since it is on Etsy, I started to look for an online tutorial on how to make a tulle wreath.  I've never seen one before, so I wasn't sure where to start.  Google makes searching for things so easy and I quickly found this  tutorial.  It was very helpful. I got most of my materials at a store called WOW Outlets in Pennsylvania while visiting my family (yes, another trip to PA).  The foam ring is 11" .  I originally started with a 12" ring, but felt it was too big.  I had almost the whole wreath covered with tulle, didn't like it, and took it apart for the smaller ring. I got some of the tulle at the same store, some at the $1.00 section in JoAnn's, and had some cut from a bolt at JoAnn's.  I also purchased some gold ribbon as well. The flower, leaves, and scarecrow are all from fall decorations I had lying around the ho

Spring Hanging Towels

I just wanted to share what I started over Easter break and finished yesterday in between church, hunting for Easter baskets, and eating tons of food.  My Gram's birthday and my godmother's birthday is in April, so I told them I'd make an Easter hanging towel for them.  I had four towels, so I was able to make 8 all together.  Only five are shown: Since I last made the shamrock one, I did find out that I can make a buttonhole with my sewing machine.  However, I can't find the manual so I still don't know how to use it.  So I'm still sewing snaps on the towels like I did  here .  I did figure out that I can sew the button on at the same time as the snap, so that made it MUCH easier than the first time I did it.  I actually like the snaps and will probably keep with it even if when I do figure out how to use it. I gave all of them away as gifts, except for one.  I think they turned out just springy :) I hope that you all had a blessed Easter !